History

The Lutheran Church of Australia has had a long and rich involvement in Christian education.  From as early as 1839, Lutheran communities have established schools in Australia, seeking to provide for the growth of their children spiritually, intellectually, socially and physically.  

In 1958 Mrs. Isabel Bell, a young working mother, developed a vision for a Christian school to be formed in the locality of Sunshine, Victoria.  Twenty-four years later her vision was finally realized, through her generous donation of the proceeds from a land sale.  In all those years Isabel’s faith in God and hope of a school in His name never faltered.  

Sunshine Christian School commenced in 1982 on a former Uniting Church site, initially under the banner of the Uniting Church of Australia, and supported by the local Sunshine Uniting Church congregation. Many years later however, in 2003, it became necessary for the school to seek new governance or risk closure.  After much prayer, a new partnership formed with the Lutheran Church of Australia enabled the school to remain open. This collaboration saw the school become a member of Lutheran Education Australia in 2004 supported by a new partnership was formed with St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, Footscray becoming the supporting congregation.

Sunshine Christian School has since celebrated 30 years of operation in 2012, and joined with 85 other Lutheran schools and over 40,000 students across the country in 2014 to acknowledge 175 years of Lutheran schools in Australia.


 

This photo gallery has no pictures.